Legal Services

Property Damage Claims & Compensation

If your property is damaged in a motor vehicle accident or in some other circumstance, you may be eligible for compensation. The person responsible for causing the accident may also responsible for paying for the damage. If they have insurance, this will be managed by their insurance company.

If the person at fault does not have insurance and does not pay for the damage or their insurance company refuses to pay their claim, you should seek legal advice to help resolve the dispute and access the compensation you are fairly owed.

Who Can Make a Claim?

A property damage claim is made to recover money for damage done to your property. This could include:

  • A motor vehicle crashing into your car, motorcycle or bicycle
  • A motor vehicle crashing into your home
  • A motor vehicle damaging other property such as your fence
  • Other circumstances where your property is damaged as a result of someone else’s actions

A claim does not necessarily have to be against an individual. For example if your property was damaged by road works, you could make a claim against the Department of Transport and Main Roads or the contractors hired to do the job.

If your property is a commercial use property, for example a shop, taxi or courier van, you may also claim demurrage. This is the claim for a loss of income because you are unable to use the property while it is being repaired or replaced.

Making a Claim

If your property is damaged by someone else and you wish to make a claim, it’s best to seek legal advice to ensure you have the best chance of receiving the compensation you are entitled to. First take photos of the property damage as soon as it happens so there is proof for the claim.

Some information is generally required about the accident, such as how it happened, when, where, the details of the people involved and whether any police report was made. The property should be examined by a professional, e.g. a mechanic for a car, to determine the precise cost of the damage.

Get in Touch

Speak to a legal professional as soon as possible after a motor vehicle accident. If you sustained a personal injury when your property was damaged, you may be eligible for additional claims. Act quickly as time limits apply and the circumstances may require an investigation.

Brisbane Injury Lawyers can help you get fair compensation where possible if your property is damaged. We believe everyone has the right to legal representation, which is why we charge no fees until the successful conclusion of your claim. No Win, No Fee.

Speak to one of our lawyers today on 07 3188 5800 or contact us online.

No win, no fee.

Personal Injury Lawyers

Experts in workers compensation claims,
work-related incidents & public liability.

Can you claim compensation? Click the button below to find out in 30 seconds.

Or contact us on 1300 695 299 for an obligation free consult.