What Support And Compensation Can I Access While On WorkCover?

WorkCover is a form of insurance available for employees that are injured at work or travelling to work. The Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003  (the Act)  establishes a workers’ compensation scheme for Queensland, providing benefits relating to workplace injuries or fatalities, and insurance for employers.  The Act states that employers must insure their workers with WorkCover Queensland under an Accident Insurance Policy.

Work Cover is a ‘no fault’ scheme, so despite who or what caused the injury it allows Queensland workers to make a claim and access benefits if they sustain a work-related injury or illness.

What is considered an injury?

  • Physical injuries, for example, back strain, fractures, burns, lacerations.
  • Psychiatric or psychological disorders; for example, stress, anxiety disorder.
  • Injuries over a period of time, for example, industrial deafness.
  • Aggravation of a pre-existing condition.
  • Diseases; and
  • Death from injury or disease.

What should I do if I am injured at work?

  • Seek medical assistance and ask your doctor for a work capacity certificate.
  • Inform your employer about your injury and provide them with your work capacity certificate.
  • Lodge your claim with WorkCover Queensland (or your employer’s insurer). We can provide you with a detailed explanation of the process and explain what your options are moving forward.
  • Start your rehabilitation as soon as possible.

What support and compensation can I access while on WorkCover?

  • Weekly compensation for loss of wages.
  • Medical and rehabilitation services.
  • Rehabilitation equipment; and
  • Travelling, parking and other expenses for medical treatment, rehabilitation etc.

If you are not able to work due to non-work-related injury, workers are encouraged to:   

  • talk to their employer about accessing sick leave entitlements
  • talk to their income protection insurer
  • talk to their superannuation fund as they may have income protection
  • talk to Centrelink.

Should I contact a Lawyer?  

We highly recommend that you speak with a compensation expert.  If you need legal support, you can speak to the experienced team at Brisbane Injury Lawyers. We offer a “no win, no fee” service. Call today on 07 3009 8444  or contact us online for an assessment.